Based in our hometown of Hood River, OR, this workshop will be focused on workflow and beginner technique for shooting natural light subjects. Our goal is to not only improve your photography, but to make the whole process easier. We intend for each photographer to gain a solid understanding of the often subtle tricks that yield striking images in a range of available-light settings. We anticipate that each photographer will leave with a selection of diverse images, edited and filed for quick access and long-term organization.
Our outdoor studio: The Gorge offers snow-capped volcanoes, high desert, narrow waterfall canyons and towering forests. We'll explore by car and on foot with multiple shoot locations per day. Emphasis will be placed on editorial travel-style photography - environmental portraits, sense of place, landscapes with people enjoying the outdoors. Indoor workshop sessions will teach efficient workflow for managing file naming, storage and color correction (Lightroom/Photoshop). The days will be long but fun. We aim to pack each day with shooting, instruction, and review, plus a little time to enjoy Hood River's world-class biking, wind surfing, breweries and wineries.
What To Expect
A typical workshop day
- Dawn: Hike and Shoot. Pre-dawn wake-up, grab coffee and breakfast at a local cafe. Drive to a nearby trail or canyon for 1-3 hours of shooting.
- Mid-morning: Workflow + Review. Now that you've shot a memory card, we'll head indoors for a 1-2 hour session on downloading, naming and organizing your images on a hard drive. After the first day, this time will be used for Lightroom editing instruction.
- Lunch: Discussion. We'll present images and stories illustrating tricks of the trade, from pros and cons of various focal lengths to the etiquette of approaching strangers.
- Afternoon + Evening: Shooting On Location. We'll field trip to other prime Gorge locations to practice shooting people in landscapes - a lake with Stand-Up Paddle board models, a mountain bike trail with biking models, a fruit orchard harvest, a waterfall-laden canyon, wind surfers at the Columbia River sand bar, etc.
- Nighttime: TBD: Editing workshop, optional individual review session and/or relax. We'll leave this up to group energy, but one instructor will always be available after dinner at a local pub for one-on-one image review.
October 21-24,2 017
Hood River, Oregon
- Level I: Basic understanding of camera settings when shooting in auto mode.
- Level II: Basic understanding of camera settings when shooting in maual mode.
- Level III: Full understanding of camera settings. Possilbe interest in stepping up to professional level and shooting for hire. 10 portfolio images requested with application.